About Female Infertility
There are several reasons why a woman may find it difficult to become pregnant, but thankfully, there are also treatment options available to help treat fertility issues. Our experienced team of OB/GYN specialists works with women to understand these options in order to hopefully help guide them toward a positive pregnancy test. We will be with you every step of the way during every appointment if you choose to go through with treatment, and we can answer any questions that you may have about the entire process. Contact Women’s Health at Valley View in Glenwood Springs, Basalt, or Silt, CO to learn more and to schedule your initial consultation with one of our board-certified OB/GYNs.
Indicators of Infertility
Issues with infertility in women can be caused by a variety of factors and have several indicators, including:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): an endocrine condition in which a woman’s eggs do not mature
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID): caused by an infection in the reproductive organs that can lead to damage to the ovaries, uterus, or fallopian tubes
- Fibroids or polyps: noncancerous tumors in the uterus that can alter the shape of the womb or change the responsiveness of the endometrium
- Hormone imbalance: when the body creates too little or too much of a reproductive hormone
- Female aging: the chances of infertility can decrease as a woman ages due to the decline in quality and quantity of eggs
- Ovulatory dysfunction: a condition in which the ovaries do not create or release an egg throughout the menstrual cycle
- Menopause: this indicates that a woman’s supply of eggs is depleted
- Recurrent miscarriages: can be an indication of an existing fertility condition
- Endometriosis: affects the tissue lining of the womb (uterus) and can cause several symptoms, including infertility
- Unexplained infertility: in some cases, the cause of infertility may remain unknown even after testing
"All the staff was very very pleasant, and very professional..Dr.Halliwell is the best! She is compassionate, kind and very knowledgeable. She takes time to hear your concerns and takes time to explain everything to you!"- S.P. / Google / Feb 03, 2022
"Excelente atención se preocupan no sólo por él bienestar físico sino también por el emocional y psicológico, Gracias!"- S.M. / Google / Jan 28, 2022
"Dr. Joel Dickens was our doctor throughout my second pregnancy and birth of our daughter two years ago. He was great about answering any of our questions and addressing any concerns we had along the way. He never made me feel like any of my questions were unimportant or silly and I was never made to feel that my concerns were irrational. I am now in my last weeks of my third pregnancy and am much less anxious knowing this baby and I are in good hands with Dr. Dickens. We highly recommend Dr. Joel Dickens!"- Anonymous / Vitals / Nov 19, 2018
"Dr. Mang-Smith is one of the best doctors I’ve had in a long time. She is sharp, attentive, perceptive, a step ahead of me even. I went in for something pretty basic, that thing that is necessary but most women avoid. She asked important questions and offered great solutions to some things I hadn’t even considered addressing. She ordered an important test and the radiology department called me to schedule before I even drove away from the medical building. Dr. Mang-Smith is a Women’s health physician, after all, which covers a lot more than I was even thinking about. I also left with a book and a prescription. I think my life is about to get a lot better. "- S. / Healthgrades / Oct 09, 2021
"(Translated by Google) Excellent care, they care not only about his physical well-being but also about his emotional and psychological well-being, Thank you! (Original) Excelente atención se preocupan no sólo por él bienestar físico sino también por el emocional y psicológico, Gracias!"- S.M. / Google / Feb 19, 2022
Depending on what may have been detected during fertility testing, there are several treatment options that are available at Women’s Health at Valley View. Along with certain lifestyle changes, some treatments include:
- Clomid: This medication works by utilizing hormones to stimulate the release of mature eggs from the ovaries.
- Progesterone: As a hormone that naturally occurs in the body, progesterone is released by the ovaries and is essential for the implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus. It can also be provided as a medication (as a gel, pill, or injection) to effectively treat infertility.
- HCG: Also known as human chorionic gonadotropin, HCG is a hormone that is created by the placenta and is released after a fertilized egg is implanted. It is required to sustain a pregnancy and can stimulate the production of progesterone, as well as cause ovulation. Typically administered through injections, HCG can be taken on its own to help aid in fertility or alongside additional fertility treatments, such as intrauterine insemination (IUI).
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI): As an in-office procedure, IUI only takes a few minutes to perform. Prior to the procedure, sperm will be collected from the male and is washed in order to remove seminal fluid to concentrate the sperm. This prepared sperm is then inserted into the uterus by a thin catheter that is attached to a syringe, bypassing the cervix in order to place the sperm closer to the fallopian tubes. This raises the chances that the sperm will come in contact with the egg.
We Can Help
At Women's Health at Valley View, we work with women to allow them to understand their fertility options to aid them in starting or growing their family. With several treatment options available, our team of OB/GYN professionals can work with you to understand your individualized needs before recommending the right one for you. Learn more by contacting us in Colorado to schedule a consultation.