About Female Infertility
There are several reasons why a woman may find it difficult to become pregnant, but thankfully, there are also treatment options available to help treat fertility issues. Our experienced team of OB/GYN specialists works with women to understand these options in order to hopefully help guide them toward a positive pregnancy test. We will be with you every step of the way during every appointment if you choose to go through with treatment, and we can answer any questions that you may have about the entire process. Contact Women’s Health at Valley View in Glenwood Springs, Basalt, or Silt, CO to learn more and to schedule your initial consultation with one of our board-certified OB/GYNs.
Indicators of Infertility
Issues with infertility in women can be caused by a variety of factors and have several indicators, including:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): an endocrine condition in which a woman’s eggs do not mature
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID): caused by an infection in the reproductive organs that can lead to damage to the ovaries, uterus, or fallopian tubes
- Fibroids or polyps: noncancerous tumors in the uterus that can alter the shape of the womb or change the responsiveness of the endometrium
- Hormone imbalance: when the body creates too little or too much of a reproductive hormone
- Female aging: the chances of infertility can decrease as a woman ages due to the decline in quality and quantity of eggs
- Ovulatory dysfunction: a condition in which the ovaries do not create or release an egg throughout the menstrual cycle
- Menopause: this indicates that a woman’s supply of eggs is depleted
- Recurrent miscarriages: can be an indication of an existing fertility condition
- Endometriosis: affects the tissue lining of the womb (uterus) and can cause several symptoms, including infertility
- Unexplained infertility: in some cases, the cause of infertility may remain unknown even after testing
"Dr. Joel Dickens was our doctor throughout my second pregnancy and birth of our daughter two years ago. He was great about answering any of our questions and addressing any concerns we had along the way. He never made me feel like any of my questions were unimportant or silly and I was never made to feel that my concerns were irrational. I am now in my last weeks of my third pregnancy and am much less anxious knowing this baby and I are in good hands with Dr. Dickens. We highly recommend Dr. Joel Dickens!"- Anonymous / Vitals / Nov 19, 2018
"My son is almost 3 months and my initial intent was a home birth however with some pregnancy complications, I transferred to the clinic and my experience with Women’s Health was amazing. Everyone there is knowledgeable, open, friendly and helpful. I had a natural childbirth of a nearly 9lbs baby and Brenda Hanson was so encouraging and helpful. She really helped me make it through along with all of the staff at the family birthplace. It was truly a great experience that my husband, son and I are all grateful for. Could not be happier with the care."- A.B. / Google / Mar 05, 2020
"Another great visit after my recent procedure. Very impressed with this practice."- J.C. / SurveyVitals / Feb 20, 2020
"Truly BLESSED: - God has been so good to me, placing this woman in my path. She’s the first that took me seriously wo eye-rolls n the words “inconclusive” and “hypochondriac”!!!!!!!God alone "dropped her in my lap". I was at a Ladies' Bible Study n a woman there was talking about her Dr. n how pleased she was with her. I asked for the name:Dr. Katie Mang-Smith atWomen's Health at Valley-View Hospital in Glenwood Springs.She took the time to go over the paperwork / results from the multiple tests I've had done elsewhere since Jan 2017, multiple UAs, a cystoscopy, a CT scan, a pelvic ultrasound, and several pelvic exams,....) the problems I've been having that prompted me to have them, n my frustration of getting no answers / “inconclusive” results.The surgery was planned as "exploratory" to discover why n ended up being a major effort / undertaking of precision repair(s),for problems, some I suspected, some, no one had any clue!!!!!!!What was supposed to be 1 1/2 - 2 hours, was a 4 hour surgery!!!!!!!Grateful to God for His Provision!!!!!!!I had my surgery on Tuesday, 27 NOV, 18. It’s now Friday. Dr Mang-Smith came to my hospital room Tuesday afternoon to explain / discuss what she’d accomplished:After my previous partial hysterectomy (Colorado Springs 1998) and in the 20 years since,upon visual inspection, Dr. Mang-Smith discovered:Vaginal cuff, bladder, colon, ovaries and tubes all stuck together w a lot of scar tissue / adhesions,creating a large knotted lump / cluster of imperfectly, often painfully functioning organs, including confirmation of vaginal cuff that had come “unbuttoned” from the previous surgery.(Explains a LOT of on-going symptoms!!!!!!!)The pictures are shocking / stunning.She had to dissect it all to separate / get it apart.Once apart:Discovered a fistula n removed a portion of colon / repaired it.Removed (dead / atrophied / w cyst) ovaries n tubes.Put remaining items in their proper places, allowing them to freely move, naturally.Repaired the “unbuttoned” vaginal cuff.More incisions than planned to allow for tools -some glued, some sewn; a bit warm, but healing nicely.VERY sore -esp left side where biggest incisions are.On norco n ibuprofen for pain.On fluids, liquid diet / transition to soft / reg.Now home.Still a bit dizzy, n puffy from fluid, as well as some pain from gas, and other minor discomforts. Only a bit of nausea. A bit of fever yesterday, but all in all, vitals are good, n recovery seems to be going well.She called me yesterday and I told her how grateful I was -she’s basically saved my life. If all this had gone undiscovered (doesn’t show on any of the tests I’ve done!!!!!!!) for another 10-20 years, I’d never have survived it. (I’m 58 -would’ve had much more difficulty at 78!!!!!!!)Thank you SO very much, Dr. Mang-Smith, for your attentiveness, kindness, and skill!!!!!!! Recommending you will be one of the greatest privileges / pleasures of my life!!!!!!!Gratefully,Deborah Christine Garrett 🐝"- Anonymous / Vitals / Nov 30, 2018
"I've got to say Valerie the RN that took me back was wonderful. She helped me with the most advice first hand and she made me feel very comfortable. She is the sweetest."- Anonymous / SurveyVitals / Feb 20, 2020
Depending on what may have been detected during fertility testing, there are several treatment options that are available at Women’s Health at Valley View. Along with certain lifestyle changes, some treatments include:
- Clomid: This medication works by utilizing hormones to stimulate the release of mature eggs from the ovaries.
- Progesterone: As a hormone that naturally occurs in the body, progesterone is released by the ovaries and is essential for the implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus. It can also be provided as a medication (as a gel, pill, or injection) to effectively treat infertility.
- HCG: Also known as human chorionic gonadotropin, HCG is a hormone that is created by the placenta and is released after a fertilized egg is implanted. It is required to sustain a pregnancy and can stimulate the production of progesterone, as well as cause ovulation. Typically administered through injections, HCG can be taken on its own to help aid in fertility or alongside additional fertility treatments, such as intrauterine insemination (IUI).
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI): As an in-office procedure, IUI only takes a few minutes to perform. Prior to the procedure, sperm will be collected from the male and is washed in order to remove seminal fluid to concentrate the sperm. This prepared sperm is then inserted into the uterus by a thin catheter that is attached to a syringe, bypassing the cervix in order to place the sperm closer to the fallopian tubes. This raises the chances that the sperm will come in contact with the egg.
We Can Help
At Women's Health at Valley View, we work with women to allow them to understand their fertility options to aid them in starting or growing their family. With several treatment options available, our team of OB/GYN professionals can work with you to understand your individualized needs before recommending the right one for you. Learn more by contacting us in Colorado to schedule a consultation.