There are multiple types of uterine fibroids that can cause painful symptoms for those who experience them. Uterine fibroids are classified as benign lumps that appear on the uterus and may grow larger, becoming inflamed. They may also cause heavy bleeding during menstruation and issues with infertility. At Women’s Health at Valley View, we use ultrasound diagnostic testing, as well as several different treatment options, depending on the extent and number of existing fibroids. If you are experiencing any symptoms that could be related to fibroids, we urge you to contact one of our locations in Glenwood Springs, Basalt, or Silt, CO. These symptoms could include:
- Extreme pain during menstruation
- Pain in the pelvis and/or lower back
- Heavy bleeding during and outside of menstruation
- Abnormal bloating in the abdomen
- Frequent urination
- Pain during intercourse
Types of Fibroids
The different types of fibroids are characterized by their location and include the following:
- Intramural fibroids: form in the muscular wall of the uterus
- Subserosal fibroids: develop outside of the uterus on the serosa
- Pedunculated fibroids: occur when subserosal fibroids grow a stem that supports the fibroid
- Submucosal fibroids: grow within the middle muscle layer in the uterus (also known as the myometrium)
"All the staff was very very pleasant, and very professional..Dr.Halliwell is the best! She is compassionate, kind and very knowledgeable. She takes time to hear your concerns and takes time to explain everything to you!"- S.P. / Google / Feb 03, 2022
"Excelente atención se preocupan no sólo por él bienestar físico sino también por el emocional y psicológico, Gracias!"- S.M. / Google / Jan 28, 2022
"Dr. Joel Dickens was our doctor throughout my second pregnancy and birth of our daughter two years ago. He was great about answering any of our questions and addressing any concerns we had along the way. He never made me feel like any of my questions were unimportant or silly and I was never made to feel that my concerns were irrational. I am now in my last weeks of my third pregnancy and am much less anxious knowing this baby and I are in good hands with Dr. Dickens. We highly recommend Dr. Joel Dickens!"- Anonymous / Vitals / Nov 19, 2018
"Dr. Mang-Smith is one of the best doctors I’ve had in a long time. She is sharp, attentive, perceptive, a step ahead of me even. I went in for something pretty basic, that thing that is necessary but most women avoid. She asked important questions and offered great solutions to some things I hadn’t even considered addressing. She ordered an important test and the radiology department called me to schedule before I even drove away from the medical building. Dr. Mang-Smith is a Women’s health physician, after all, which covers a lot more than I was even thinking about. I also left with a book and a prescription. I think my life is about to get a lot better. "- S. / Healthgrades / Oct 09, 2021
"My husband and I switched to VVWH for a second opinion after a rough start to our pregnancy journey. We have nothing but GLOWING reviews about the care we recieved at VVWH. The clinic was incredibly professional, on time, clean and we loved all of the staff we worked with. We thoroughly enjoyed each of the midwives and doctors that assisted us throughout the 9 months. Our time at the hospital was wonderful. I ended up having a csection and felt very comfortable with the entire procedure. We spent 3 nights in the hospital afterward and learned a lot from the staff and nurses there. We will definitely be returning to VVWH in the future!"- A.S. / Google / May 11, 2023
Typically, fibroids only need to be treated if they are causing painful symptoms or are affecting fertility. The treatment recommended will be dependent on the size and type of existing fibroids. At Women’s Health at Valley View, we provide minimally invasive and surgical options, including:
- Endometrial ablation: This procedure works by destroying (ablating) the lining of the uterus. The type of method used may vary, depending on your existing condition but could include liquid heat, extreme cold, or radiofrequency energy.
- Myomectomy: A myomectomy is a surgical procedure that is performed to remove the fibroids. During the procedure, an incision is made along the lower abdomen area and the fibroids are surgically removed from the wall of the uterus. The incision will then be stitched closed.
- Laparoscopic surgery: A laparoscopic myomectomy is a minimally invasive procedure that involves the use of a hysteroscope. This device is inserted into the vagina to reach the uterus where the fibroids will then be removed.
Eliminate Your Fibroids
Fibroids can cause many painful symptoms that may require them to be removed. With several different types of fibroids, treatment options will vary. At Women's Health at Valley View, our team of board-certified OB/GYNs can create a customized treatment plan best suited for your needs. Contact one of our Colorado locations to learn more and to schedule a consultation.