About Prenatal Testing
As a part of prenatal care at Women’s Health at Valley View, our team of board-certified OB/GYNs may suggest specific tests to check on the health of your baby. At our Glenwood Springs, Basalt, and Silt, CO locations, we offer a series of testing options in order to detect any abnormalities and risks for the expectant mother or baby. They can be scheduled for the first, second, or third trimester of pregnancy, depending on which tests are being administered. Based on your medical history and any current conditions or concerns, we can provide recommendations for common prenatal tests during a thorough consultation. Our team will also be able to consult with you about what each test entails and what you can expect throughout the process.
"Dr. Joel Dickens was our doctor throughout my second pregnancy and birth of our daughter two years ago. He was great about answering any of our questions and addressing any concerns we had along the way. He never made me feel like any of my questions were unimportant or silly and I was never made to feel that my concerns were irrational. I am now in my last weeks of my third pregnancy and am much less anxious knowing this baby and I are in good hands with Dr. Dickens. We highly recommend Dr. Joel Dickens!"- Anonymous / Vitals / Nov 19, 2018
"My son is almost 3 months and my initial intent was a home birth however with some pregnancy complications, I transferred to the clinic and my experience with Women’s Health was amazing. Everyone there is knowledgeable, open, friendly and helpful. I had a natural childbirth of a nearly 9lbs baby and Brenda Hanson was so encouraging and helpful. She really helped me make it through along with all of the staff at the family birthplace. It was truly a great experience that my husband, son and I are all grateful for. Could not be happier with the care."- A.B. / Google / Mar 05, 2020
"Another great visit after my recent procedure. Very impressed with this practice."- J.C. / SurveyVitals / Feb 20, 2020
"I've got to say Valerie the RN that took me back was wonderful. She helped me with the most advice first hand and she made me feel very comfortable. She is the sweetest."- Anonymous / SurveyVitals / Feb 20, 2020
"The ultrasound and the description that Karen gave us while we looked at each part of the baby was amazing!"- Anonymous / SurveyVitals / Feb 16, 2020
At Women’s Health at Valley View, we provide several different tests to check on the development of your baby and ensure that you remain healthy throughout your pregnancy. These tests include:
- Noninvasive prenatal testing (NIPT): This can screen for Down syndrome and additional chromosomal abnormalities.
- Genetic carrier screening: A test that can determine if either the mother or father is a carrier of certain genetic disorders.
- Quad screen: An important blood test that can assess the risk of a neural birth defect or identify chromosomal deficiencies.
- Group B Strep (GBS): This is a bacterium that can be found in the vagina or rectum and can make the newborn susceptible to sepsis, pneumonia, or meningitis if not detected through prenatal testing.
- Gestational diabetes: Your insulin levels will be tested to ensure that you are producing the proper amount of insulin throughout your pregnancy.
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine consultation: A Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialist is equipped and properly trained to handle high-risk pregnancies.
- Nonstress test: This simple, noninvasive test evaluates the baby’s movement, heart rhythm, and contractions during labor.
What to Expect
While some of these tests may be routine procedures, others may only be recommended if there is a family history of certain conditions or if you are showing symptoms. Additionally, the process for each test will differ and may include drawing blood, a mouth swab, tissue collection, or another method. If you test positive for a condition, we can talk with you about your options and secondary testing may be recommended. Please feel free to talk to our experienced team if you have any questions or concerns at all. We are happy to provide any additional information about your testing options or your results.
With prenatal testing, our OB/GYNs at Women’s Health at Valley View can identify any conditions that may require additional treatment or testing. With a variety of testing options, we can help to recommend any that may be necessary for you based on your medical history and current symptoms or concerns. To learn more, feel free to contact our facility to schedule a consultation for prenatal testing.